As many of you know I have finished my time at the School of Promise in Thailand. I am now back in the States looking at life on this side of the world again. I'm excited for this new chapter in life and for the lessons the Lord is teaching me here. I appreciate your reading about my life in Thailand, and I invite you to join me in this part of my life as well.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Opportunities

What does it mean when chalk, unidentified fried meat with claws, and bare feet all occur at the same time? Teaching! Yep, yesterday I began teaching Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade English at a school in our area. Praise God! *On top of our responsibilities preparing for our school the English team is volunteering at two nearby Thai schools. We will teach until the end of the term (March). The purpose of volunteering is two-fold: first to build community relationships and second to allow us to develop our teaching skills.* This school is really abnormal for a Thai school and is fairly experimental. They are gaining recognition for their unique approach to education, I am impressed by what I've seen. It has been a joy to be there, the students are attentive and respectful. The other teachers, after a brief case of nerves, have been very kind and welcoming. We have begun to build relationships with them over lunch (where the meat with claws comes in). They have given my roommate and I Thai names, names of flowers. I am so thankful for this opportunity. Yesterday upon arriving at this school we observed their morning assembly which included prayers to Buddha and a time of meditation. This school is a place where truth and light do not normally reside. Amy and I get the opportunity to go and love the people, both students and teachers with the love of Jesus. I am so thankful they have graciously opened their doors to us and pray that we will be effective witnesses (and teachers).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...