Thanksgiving...what a beautiful concept...such a necessary one at that. It is all too easy to get caught up in what is not going right (like when it is nearly impossible to find potatoes in the city of Chiang Mai, or when it's 9:00 at night and the propane runs out only half-way through the Thanksgiving preparation for the next day and the washing machine simultaneously floods the back room again) and dwell on how life is hard and the narrow way we desire to tread is sometimes difficult to discern.
In teaching my kids this week about thankfulness I would ask them throughout the day, "What are you thankful for?" They would reply with different things but one of my girl's favorite replies was "I am thankful for ALL TOGETHER." Reminding me that everything the Lord allows in our lives is for our good, and every good and perfect gift is from above. One of the Hope International School board members was here for a visit last week and during a meeting with him reviewing the past year my boss uttered words of wisdom. He said, "It was a blessing to have been beaten so severely." Replaying those words over in my mind I see how true they are. Last year would I have called our trials a blessing? No way. Thinking about it now can I see how the Lord used that time to grow us, strengthen us, and bond us together? Yes, it is clear to see His hand throughout those dark nights.
While His hand is with us through trying times His hand is still with us during the times of calm. During those moments when you think, "I'm in the right place." Like this afternoon, when my newest student came home with us before we headed out to meet her parents at our boss's home for Thanksgiving dinner. We had to throw together our mashed potatoes (cooked at school since the propane ran out), green bean casserole, and bread. In the midst of the hurry I noticed her gazing at our miniature nativity resting on our coffee table. As we sat in the glow of our little Christmas tree, by the look of wonder on her face I would guess the first she had ever seen, I was reminded of a Mary of long ago who sat at the feet of Jesus in the flesh amid the hustle and bustle. As we sat at the feet of a small figurine intended to remind us of the baby who was born to save us, I knew there was nowhere else I would rather be than sitting with her sharing about Christ by reenacting the Christmas story with the little figures.
How thankful am I that He came, that He suffered and died for us, and that today He calls us to to follow Him and be saved. How thankful I am that He is with us in the midst of our everyday difficulties granting us strength. How thankful I am that He is gifting us everyday with His presence, goodness, mercy, and peace.

No comments:
Post a Comment