As many of you know I have finished my time at the School of Promise in Thailand. I am now back in the States looking at life on this side of the world again. I'm excited for this new chapter in life and for the lessons the Lord is teaching me here. I appreciate your reading about my life in Thailand, and I invite you to join me in this part of my life as well.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Unpredictable

So life in Thailand continues to be unpredictable. One day this week was especially crazy. It began with a game of musical vehicles. Our car was used to drive one of my roommates to the preschool. The sixth grade teacher (Gordon) came over so he could go with one of my roommates to immigration but it began to rain so he and my roommate took the borrowed car that we were planning on using to get to school. Which meant that Brittany and I were left with the Gordon's mode of transportation, a motorcycle. I told Gordon well we have to get to school so show me how to start your motorcycle. (We were going to leave a little while later so it had time to stop raining.) After a little while, Brittany and I gathered up our big bags and walked out to the motorcycle. I pushed the bike out of our driveway because I had no idea how to make it go in reverse and as it sat in the middle of the street Brittany and I just looked at it and prayed that God would keep us safe. We climbed on and took off down the street. It is a very good thing that the way to school is mostly straight with a left turn, right turn, and then left turn. I almost hit a car the first turn, a wall the second turn, and a wall type thing the third time. I don't think Brittany will ever ride on a motorcycle with me again. Turns are quite tricky with more than one person on a bike. That day continued on with several odd things happening and ended with Khruu Ooy's car breaking down. But it was a dramatic breakdown because as it was dying she decided to pull a u-turn. Yes you guessed it. The u-turn left us dead in the middle of the road blocking both lanes of traffic with cars coming towards us. Brittany and I jumped out of the car and pushed it off the road just in time. (Thai drivers don't really slow down much for objects in their way, they just assume they will move). After that we walked home. Our favorite guard (Smiley) was on duty. He tried to talk to us and we tried so hard to understand him but I think he must speak Northern Thai because it didn't even sound familiar. Right after that a random Thai girl came running up and spoke to us in English. You never know what to expect in this place.

This week I am thanking the Lord for my 78ish students. I have counted at least 78 but some are absent and some are hiding outside. ;) Next week I will be thanking the Lord that the other teacher from America is scheduled to arrive here on Wednesday. Praise God.

1 comment:

  1. Emily,
    I'm reading a book called "The New Friars" by Scott Bessenecker. I think of you every time I read because you are living what he is writing about. He calls it incarnational ministry. When Jesus said to preach the kingdom of heaven is at hand, we bring it near by being near those who need it, particularly the disenfranchised, intractable poor. So by going and living among these people as they live to serve them and embody Christ to them, you are bringing the Kingdom of God near to them.
    Your friend,
    Mrs. H

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...