As many of you know I have finished my time at the School of Promise in Thailand. I am now back in the States looking at life on this side of the world again. I'm excited for this new chapter in life and for the lessons the Lord is teaching me here. I appreciate your reading about my life in Thailand, and I invite you to join me in this part of my life as well.

Friday, December 9, 2011

Two Worlds



December is here and Christmas is fast approaching. I've traded my skirts and flip-flops for jeans and scarves. I can understand stranger's conversations (don't worry I try not to eavesdrop). There is Christmas music, decorations, and snow. It seems rather surreal. I have to remind myself to stay on the right side of the road. I'm still surprised when people tell me Merry Christmas! I think the grocery store is like an amusement park with all sorts of strange new things to discover, many of which make me laugh out loud. I'm amazed that there is a kitchen gadget for absolutely everything. I'm confused by the lack of fish sauce and rice. I'm enjoying the potatoes and biscuits and of course green chile on just about everything. I'm thankful for the drive-throughs here, but miss the fact that over there they pump the gas at the station. It's so cold I wish they would do that here.



I miss the little voices who chatter away in Thai and the hugs they give. I miss their smiles and quirks. Yet, I am so thankful for the sweet friends on this side of the world, who don't stop loving even though we're far apart. I'm thankful for the time with them and their wise counsel.



These are two very different cultures, styles, places: the Asian and American. Both with their good and bad and both with people I love. I'm thankful for the time I have in both worlds.


2 comments:

  1. Aw. tears. choked up. Miss You! Miss You Lots! - _iffy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Emily! I'm so happy to have finally met you now that you're Stateside. Hope today (12.25) has been blessed. --Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...