As many of you know I have finished my time at the School of Promise in Thailand. I am now back in the States looking at life on this side of the world again. I'm excited for this new chapter in life and for the lessons the Lord is teaching me here. I appreciate your reading about my life in Thailand, and I invite you to join me in this part of my life as well.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Unfathomable Love

So far in my time at seminary I've been impressed with one particular overwhelming feeling. Other than the overwhelming feeling of more reading than I think I can possibly accomplish, that is.

Reading through Genesis and Exodus I was impressed with the depravity of humanity. But more than that I saw God more clearly than before. I saw Him clearly in His response toward the fallen people He loves.
  • Towards Abraham when he tried to pass Sarah off as his sister, twice
  • Ishmael even though he wasn't God's chosen
  • Moses even though he killed an Egyptian and tried to get out of being used by God to rescue his people
  • Jacob even though he deceived his father
  • The Israelites in the wilderness even though they complained and doubted
  • And so many others
Then after I began to notice this theme it appeared to be everywhere. One of my professors was explaining the Fall in Genesis. He explained how more than anything it showed the character of God. It was His first response to the rebellion and sin of the people He had created. He set the stage of how our usual understanding of "They heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden," can actually be understood as God moving in a mighty wind. That makes more sense for a just God right after sin than Him just strolling through the garden. Yet, His first words were not of judgement or condemnation. They were a call, a call to bring His people back into relationship with Him. "Where are you?" An invitation to take a step back towards Him. Then, He gave them a chance to confess their sin. Next, He made provision for them to survive. They do receive the consequences of their sin. No doubt about that, and they did open the door for the presence of sin in all mankind. But God's response to them shows His character in a mighty way. He still loved them. He forgave them. He continued to provide for them. He didn't give them death that they deserved. He knew that death did have to be paid for each of them and for us. He can't allow sin to go unpunished. Yet, He did something none of us would ever do. He gave of Himself, His son to pay our debt. Because He loves us. Because He loved them.

Then as I heard the words to one of my favorite songs this theme of God's unfailing love came again to my mind.

"Nothing can separate
Even if I ran away
Your love never fails

I know I still make mistakes
But You have new mercies for me everyday
Your love never fails

You stay the same through the ages
Your love never changes
There may be pain in the night but joy comes in the morning
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsty.com/jesus-culture-your-love-never-fails-lyrics.html ]
And when the oceans rage
I don't have to be afraid
Because I know that You love me
Your love never fails
The wind is strong and the water's deep
But I'm not alone here in these open seas
Cause Your love never fails

The chasm is far too wide
I never thought I'd reach the other side
But Your love never fails"


We used to listen to this song because it was on our school van's one cd. (Not that I'm complaining...it was a good cd.) :) I remember driving to school with a bunch of kids laughing in the back and a bunch of teachers talking and so many times I was praying "God I don't have strength for today." The words of this song would remind me "And when the oceans rage, I don't have to be afraid, because I know that You love me, Your love never fails." He would sustain me. Now that I'm here with a completely different set of challenges, exhaustion, and fears He again reminds me He stays the same and that His love never changes. It sustained me then and it sustains me now. I stand amazed at the love He has for us. I can't understand His forgiveness, His mercy, and His grace. It is beyond my comprehension. But I know that He treated those in the Bible that way. And I know that is how He sees me. I will never understand...but I will always be grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, I love reading your new posts! Praying for you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...