Sundays are usually great for several reasons. First, the worship and fellowship with other believers is uplifting. Second, we get ready in a pretty cool (temperature wise) environment, get into our air conditioned car, and sit in an air conditioned building for church. Third, we generally go to lunch after church at some of our favorite restaurants or try new places. This morning I was attempting to back our favorite hunk of metal out of our driveway which is not the easiest thing because it has no power steering and we have to avoid hitting our neighbor's vehicle which is generally parked behind us. Vente (our car) often doesn't start right away or stalls quickly after starting. Meaning that when we do get it started we have to quickly hit the gas for it to remain running producing revving noises and causing us to peel out of the driveway. I just really struggled this morning to get it moving, it just would hop backwards and then die. This happened repeatedly until I finally managed to get it onto the street. At this point I knew something was not right but I wasn't sure what it was. As I lurched down the street I began to notice that it felt like the clutch was already in before I attempted to step on the pedal. I thought something really was not right but I wasn't sure if it was just me so I asked my roommate to drive it for a minute and to see what she thought. She was driving and agreed that we needed to get it looked at but didn't think it felt too weird. As we were driving down the street she started having trouble getting it into gear and we decided to call our boss and see if we could just park Vente at his house and borrow his car or ride with him to church. We stop at a very busy intersection where the stoplight is not working while I call our boss. When Brittany attempts to put the car in gear and drive through the intersection she can't get it into ANY gear. So... we sit at this intersection blocking the flow of traffic. Amy rolls down her window and proceeds to wave everyone around us. Now, we stick out in Thailand. We get stared at, pointed at, and laughed at on a regular basis. Picture us sitting in the middle of the intersection stopped and waving everyone around us. Yep, that was awkward. We sat there waiting for our boss when this car drives by and a farang (foreigner) man rolls down his window and asks if we need help. We say, yes! and he pulls right in front of us and stops. Amy and I jump out (keep in mind we are wearing church clothes) and help this wonderful man push our car backwards into the oncoming traffic. Oh, how we wished we had a camera! We didn't quite make it clear to Brittany (who was steering) what the plan was, and Vente doesn't have power steering so we accidentally got the car stuck too close to the median. Around that time a Thai couple on a motorbike stopped to help. So we all pushed the car forward and then turned into a pretty vacant factory area. We thanked them all profusely and told them our director was coming and to go ahead with their days. When our boss arrived we piled into their vehicle. We then headed off to pick up a new friend that we were planning on taking to church with us. Then with six adults and two kids (with large car seats) in a car with five available seats we headed off to church. Three of us were in the way back on fold out seats and the floor where absolutely no air reaches. Which meant that car sick and super hot we arrived late to church. Things really never go quite as planned. However, lunch time definitely improved the day. We ate at Sizzler (which we've never been to) with air con, a baked potato, and salad! Just wanted to share our eventful morning with you! Life certainly isn't very exciting if something isn't going wrong. :) So thankful that the Lord provided people to help us, a ride to church, good fellowship, and good food! Anyway hope your mornings work out more smoothly than ours!
No comments:
Post a Comment